yan
"The Winter Solstice Festival or The Extreme of Winter is one of the most important festivals celebrated by the Chinese and other East Asians during the dongzhi solar term on or around December 21 when sunshine is weakest and daylight shortest; i.e., on the first day of the dongzhi solar term. The origins of this festival can be traced back to the yin and yang philosophy of balance and harmony in the cosmos. After this celebration, there will be days with longer daylight hours and therefore an increase in positive energy flowing in. Traditionally, the Dongzhi Festival is also a time for the family to get together. One activity that occurs during these get togethers (especially in the southern parts of China and in Chinese communities overseas) is the making and eating of Tangyuan (湯圓, as pronounced in Cantonese; Mandarin Pinyin: Tāng Yuán) or balls of glutinous rice, which symbolize reunion."

Source: Wikipedia (unreliable academically... at least officially, but very useful otherwise)

Like many other Chinese families, my family celebrated the Winter Solstice festival, complete with family reunion and 'Tong Yuen'. My aunt, her friend, my sis and her husband came back home for dinner. Chatted, updated each other and had lots of 'Tong Yuen'. I'm worried that they won't digest. (T.T)

So... since the 'Tong Yuen' can be bought in supermarket nowadays, my mum decided to make it more traditionally, she bought multicoloured doughs from the wet market nearby.

Green and yellow, made into small round shape.

I... had fun mixing the colours. Like Play-Doh!

Boiling the pink ones. Shoooo kyutteeeee.

Cooked ones.

All together now! Bursting with colours!

Unfortunately, they are tasteless!! =)
Save for the syrup (pandan leaves + ginger + rock sugar).

Then... just start OM NOM NOM NOM NOM nom nom...

I'll just stick to supermarket ones with black sesame fillings until the next 'Tong Yuen' eating festival. Yum.

Christmas is coming! What do I have in stored for myself? Watching Francis Yip in Genting with fam and relatives! I'm not sure how excited I should be but spending time with the fam is always great fun!

Between me, who isn't able, and you
Is it alright to be this selfish?
If I don't put it into words, if I don't say it right now
Then I just don't know what will happen
Don't stop me anymore

~ Yasashii Kimochi, やさしい気持ち [Tender Feelings] by Chara
Lyrics credits
Labels: , edit post
0 Responses